Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Spinning & A Book Review



Lately I have been doing quite a bit of spinning. It has been wonderful to be able to be back to spinning and able to work on my projects every day, even if it is only for a few minutes. 
The above yarn is one of the 1 ounce samplers that I dyed up. This one is currently on the back burner as I work on the following project. I should just hurry and finish it up. It takes hardly any time to spin and ply 1 ounce. But my interest has wandered to a different project (*blushes*) and there my sample sits, neglected in the bowl on the bookcase....


This is the project that is currently consuming my spinning moments. I have a special plan for it and I can not wait to reveal my idea to you! Right now I am spinning the darker tones in this roving. It is Merino wool, and so very bouncy! I am doing a little better getting it the weight I want it. 

I finished spinning and plying this yarn. I just realized that I did not show you any in-progress photos. It is such a unique mix of colors, I have no idea what I will do with it yet. For now it has joined the other three on display on the piano.


Several weeks ago I collected my holds from the library. I stumbled across this book, Hand-Stitched Felt, somewhere in blogland and saved a picture of it to my phone to order. I was so delighted with it that I have decided to do a quick review for you before I send it back to the library. Which it is probably overdue now.... ehem.

First off, the cover! Aren't these finger puppets the sweetest things! I love the different expressions on their faces. They all have such individuality and character.


The book has lots of pictures, many adorable hand-drawn diagrams & patterns, and all instructions seem to be clear and concise.

Look at this sweet little rabbit! I think it would make a nice addition to a little boy's room. There is also a girl rabbit version. But the overalls on this little gentleman were just too cute, I had to share this picture.

Patchwork Potholder
I am an avid letter writer and this Stationery Pouch would be just the thing for traveling, or simply going outdoors to write a letter. I know plenty of other letter writers who would also appreciate this pouch.

A Fetching Portfolio is on my list of things to make, as soon as I have that much felt on hand! I would do different colors, but the overall idea is brilliant. There is even a hard mat board sandwiched inside to keep papers from bending. This would be perfect for letters, writings, stories, drawings, paintings.... the possibilities are practically endless.
Personally I would probably use it for my watercolour paintings. I've wanted a portfolio ever since I saw the one in the movie, Miss Potter

Everyday Journals are sweet little notebooks perfect for chronicling memories, sketching a photo, writing down notes...


Patchwork Potholder I like the rustic look of these, the scrappy pieces, big stitches. A set of these would make lovely Christmas gifts for all the cooks in the family. 

The Stuffed Animal Family is a lovely gathering of mice, dogs, and rabbits. Their little outfits can be changed in a multitude of ways, depending on color and what stitches and embellishments are used. I think the little dresses would look so sweet with embroidered flowers on the bottom. At 11 inches high they are a good sized stuffed animal, I was surprised by how big they are! From the picture I was imagining they would be much smaller.


These are just a few of the 25 projects withing this charming book! I hope this little glimpse of Kate Golda's Hand-Stitched Felt book will inspire you to pick up the felt & embroidery floss and start sewing! I know it inspired me. Now I just need to find a good source for nice wool felt. 


Happy Sewing, my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

God bless, and have a beautiful day!

*As a note, I prefer NOT to publish anonymous comments. Please leave your name, email, or ravelry name.