Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pertaining to socks and yarn.

In my last post we talked about winter and the cold. That naturally led to my sock knitting. So here I am today, sharing the beginning of the 2014 sock journey. To start out, I first had to buy yarn. It was with no little shock that I realized  did not own a single skein of sock yarn. I have knit an odd pair here or there, but shawls are my real love so most yarn around here turns into a shawl at some point. 
I placed an order through Knit Picks for some Stroll Glimmer in the Kestrel colorway. I loved the sparkle of the yarn which, coupled with superwash merino and nylon, seemed a good yarn choice. Selecting a pattern was quick work. I've long admired Anne Hanson's Almondine socks and it just happened to be in the book I received for Christmas. While I do like the look of this yarn knit up, I do not like knitting with it. It splits and frays and snarls until I am quite ready to cry from sheer frustration. This is not a yarn I would recommend or use again.
Then a couple weeks ago I saw on facebook that the wool mill, Stonehedge, was having a yarn sale. I ordered a few skeins for socks. Sage and Lime were the colors, I believe. 
My latest sock stash acquisition was the lovely 'Honey Bear' sock yarn from Renee at Spun Right Round on Etsy. I was tempted to cast on right away. But for now I am trudging through the Almondine socks, patiently working heels in yarn that splits, and dreaming about my next sock project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

God bless, and have a beautiful day!

*As a note, I prefer NOT to publish anonymous comments. Please leave your name, email, or ravelry name.