Friday, August 27, 2010

More Fiesta Yarn

One of my purchases, at the last fiber festival my friend and I went to, was this beautiful nostepinne. I hadn't really planned on buying a nostepinne, but we found this lovely booth with all kinds of nostepinnes for an excellent price. So we each bought one. The lady who was selling them was horrified to hear that I had been using the cardboard from a food saver roll to make center-pull balls!
I have been very happy with my nostepinne. It is a lot of fun to use, as well as very beautiful to look at. My nostepinne is made out of spaulted birch.


As I mentioned in my previous post, I was spinning up some more Fiesta Yarn. I think I like this skein even better than the last! I plied this up yesterday and then set the twist today.

To set the twist I have 2 containers set out, one with hot water, one with cold. First I plunge my skein into the hot water. Being careful not to agitate the yarn, I press it gently into the water, until all the bubbles come up. Then I lift it out and gently squeeze out the water. Do not wring the yarn. Then I plunge it in to the cold water and repeat the process.
After it has been squeezed of water, I thwack it on the counter, once on each end. Then it is hung outside in the sun to dry.

Here are pictures after my Fiesta yarn finished drying.


I saved the setting of the twist on my Fiesta yarn until today so I could show my friend how it was done. She was one of my earliest spinning students. She put her spinning aside for awhile and only recently picked it back up. This is her first skein of yarn, light purple merino. I was quite happy with how well she did on it. The skein is whole 243.85 yards!

I am going to be teaching my friend how to do hand-painting, maybe we'll get to that next week.
The Fibre adventure is filled with all sorts of new and exciting things to learn, and enjoy!
Until next time, my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

God bless, and have a beautiful day!

*As a note, I prefer NOT to publish anonymous comments. Please leave your name, email, or ravelry name.