Friday, April 27, 2012

Spinning Beaded Yarn With A Drop Spindle


 Two weeks ago I stopped into a local fiber Mill to check out the set-up and see how they processed their fiber. I was planning on placing a wholesale order with them and since I was in the area I figured it would be nice to check-out the mill. It is always fascinating to see the workings of a fiber mill. The amount of fiber they move through on a regular basis is simply amazing! While there I purchase a little bag of felting fiber. The staple length was long enough that I was able to card it up into rolags for spinning. I only had one color that   
I could not use. This one was set aside for needle felting, or perhaps for making felted soap.

 For quite awhile now i have been wanting to try my handat spinning beaded yarn. I did a search online to study various methods of bead spinning. Everything I read was tailored to spinning beaded yarn on a spinning wheel. But I figured with a little finagling I could probably make one or more of the techniques work on a drop spindle. I picked the method that seemed easiest for using with a drop spindle. First I strung a small handful of 6/0 seed beads onto a spool of cotton quilting thread. The thread was going to be used as the core of my yarn. I set the spool of thread on my lap, picked up one of the rolags and began to spin, using the thread as my core. Every 10-12 inches I would pause in my spinning and slide a bead up the thread to the join where my rolag was attached, and then continue spinning. I'll have to include a photo of this in my next post concerning this yarn. 
 At the time of taking this pictures I had spun about two roalgs worth of Romney. I added that to the beginning of my yarn for another lighter color in the mix.


I am VERY excited to see how this yarn turns out! Seeing as this is a new technique for me, and that there was no beading directions for the drop spindle, I'm kind of winging it. and seeing what happens.. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I am not sure if I am going to bead approximately half of my fiber and then ply my two ends together, or if I'll bead it all and ply it together, or bead it all and ply it with something else. I'll keep you posted!


Right now I am on a road trip, headed out of state to help our friends with the children while they are at a conference. Thanks to my new notebook, I am able to blog as we drive. Blogging on-the-go is a new experience for me, I find I am enjoying it. 


Any new techniques or tips you have learned recently? Be it spinning, knitting, crochet, or sewing....I would love to hear about it!
That's all for now. Take care my friends, and I'll be back with you soon.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly-
    Your blog is absolutely beautiful. The yarns are fabulous and I love reading your great stories. I want to be a follower of your amazing blog--- where is your follower button??!!!

    I'm thinking we need to bring more people to your wonderful blog- you have SO much to offer. There are so many ladies out there that would love your blog!

    Please be sure to read my next post- coming up in about a week-- I'm planning a blogging event that is specifically for the purpose of bringing more followers to blogs like yours. You have so much to share.

    Add that follower button!
    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vicki,

      Thank you so much for you overwhelming support! It was a delight to read your comment.

      I have indeed added the follower button. Thank you for pointing that out. I had never thought much about the lack of a follower button contributing to people not following/finding etc my blog. I also added the "follow by email" widgit.

      I look forward to checking out your upcoming post, as well as you blog!

      Holly Marie

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

God bless, and have a beautiful day!

*As a note, I prefer NOT to publish anonymous comments. Please leave your name, email, or ravelry name.