Friday, June 4, 2010

Visiting A Local Fiber Mill


On May 27th we had the lovely priviledge of visiting a small fiber mill. It was my first time ever and I really enjoyed it. We arrrived at the end of the work day so there wasn't anything going on except the washing of wool. Sadly we didn't get to see any of the big machines in action. But it was interesting all the same. :)


This here is the picker. The wool is put in on the conveyer belt and it goes in to the machine where most of the debris (sticks, straw, and such) is dislodged.

Next it gets run through this huge carder which combs it all smooth and sends it out the end in a lovely batt. There is an attatchment for turning the batt into roving but I didn't get a picture of that. I also didn't photograph the machine that makes felt. Whoops. Maybe next time.


Bags of fiber. I am not sure what stage of the process they are in.


And this scale! It was so neat! I don't know where another one could be found but I would love one! It is an antique I believe, very neat. And very accurate.



And one last shot from our trip....the gorgeous sunset on the way home!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment, I love to hear from my readers!

God bless, and have a beautiful day!

*As a note, I prefer NOT to publish anonymous comments. Please leave your name, email, or ravelry name.